BHCC Study Abroad Scholarship Program
What are study abroad scholarships?
The BHCC Student Government Association and Bunker Hill Community College have provided funds to enable students to study in another country, to experience a culture different from their own, and earn college academic credits. All programs are lead by BHCC faculty. Students can choose the program of greatest interest to them. The scholarship covers 80% of the total cost of the study abroad program selected. Approximately 35 scholarships are awarded each academic year contingent on the amount of funding available. For the Costa Rica program generally 10-12 scholarships are awarded.
Faculty, staff and interested community members are also invited to take part in study abroad programs, although scholarships are available only to qualified BHCC students.
Am I eligible for a scholarship to participate in the BHCC study abroad program?
To qualify for scholarship consideration you must:
- Be matriculated in a BHCC degree or certificate program in Fall 2022 and Spring 2023 semesters.
- Have completed by the end of the Fall 2022 semester 12 college-level credits of study at BHCC (does not include transfer credits).
- Have a G.P.A. of 2.50 or higher after the completion of the Fall 2022 semester.
- If a scholarship is awarded, the recipient must enroll in at least one course at BHCC for the Spring 2023 semester and maintain a G.P.A. of 2.50 or higher after the completion of the Spring 2023 semester or the scholarship will be forfeited.
- For the Costa Rica program students must enroll in Tropical Field Studies (ENV120) for the Spring 2022 semester and remain in good academic standing throughout the Spring 2022 semester.
How are scholarship recipients chosen?
A College-wide committee of faculty, staff, and former scholarship recipients select the students to be awarded scholarships. Each committee member rates applications as follows: Statement of Purpose (30 points), References (10 points), Academic Record (five points), and Overall Impression (five points).
Members of the selection committee then interview eligible applicants. The interview is worth 50 points. Applicants’ total scores (application average plus interview average) are ranked. The final selection of scholarship recipients is based upon ranking order (top overall scores). Applicants that fall below the cut-off score may be selected as an alternate and awarded a scholarship in the event that a scholarship recipient is unable to meet his or her academic requirements or is unable to satisfy other obligations of the study abroad program.
Students awarded scholarships for the Costa Rica program will be notified during the first week of January 2023.
The decisions of the selection committee are final.
2023 scholarship application submission deadline is
Friday, November 18, 2022 5:00pm.
Submit completed application to the International Center E236